Updated 9/6/17. A lot of friends have asked me how they can help with the situation happening in Texas with Hurricane Harvey. I've compiled a list of non-profits and organizations that I personally support and that provide aid Texas-wide. If you would like to contribute your time or financial support, pick one that speaks to you and start there. Also, there is an urgent need for Type O blood, both + and -, so please consider donating blood or seeking out a local blood drive in your area.
Feel free to share this post, I'll update it with new information as needed. This is not something that is going to be resolved in a few days or weeks, maybe even years to come. We are a wealthy nation, but because there is such a disparity between wealth and poverty, non-profits can help fill in that gap. I thank you for your generosity and kindness. Stay safe and dry!
1) Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner asks for monetary support to go to the Harvey Hurricane Relief fund via Greater Houston Community Foundation
3) Austin Disaster Relief Network is real Texas-wide help with 360 care. They need monetary and in-kind donations
4) We are Blood desperately needs Type O+ and - or monetary donations.
5) Central Texas Food Bank needs monetary donations in order to provide ready to eat meals. Please do not send canned goods at this time
6) Resources for our artist friends in Texas via Glasstire, a Texas-based non-profit visual arts magazine.
7) HEB, a Texas grocer, has been wonderful throughout the disaster providing mobile food trucks and hot meals to anyone in need in coastal areas. They have additionally donated $100,000 to the effort. You can add to that by choosing a $1, $3 or $5 tear pad at checkout.
8) Houston Food Bank, monetary and in-kind donations and volunteers needed.
9) Blue Santa is asking for donations for children thru 9/15. They need toys, games and art materials to occupy their time while in shelters and during clean up. This will also help them cope with the psychological effects of enduring a disaster of this magnitude.